Ten of the top world news stories to be aware of today!
From Business Insider…
1. Greece’s parliament on Wednesday approved a package of civil-justice and banking reforms that European creditors required before beginning negotiations on an €86 billion bailout.
2. US President Barack Obama is close to announcing a plan to close the Guantanamo Bay military prison and transfer out the remaining 116 detainees, which has been a goal since he entered office in 2009.
3. At least 29 people were killed in bombings at a mosque and a bus station in the northern Nigerian city of Gombe, in attacks that are believed to be linked to the militant group Boko Haram.
4. Italian police on Wednesday seized €2 billion in assets in a raid of betting shops, gambling websites, and companies run by the ‘Ndrangheta Mafia, one of Europe’s biggest cocaine importers.
5. Ikea will repair 27 million of its most popular style of dressers by offering a free anchoring kit, after two children were crushed to death when the furniture items tipped over.
6. A small boat collided with a barge in Egypt’s Nile river, killing at least 15 people.
7. A Myanmar court sentenced more than 150 Chinese nationals to life in prison for illegal logging, after the export of logs was banned last year to protect forests.
8. New research shows that the number of immigrants coming from Mexico to the US has dropped by 57% since its peak in 2003, largely because of fewer construction jobs since the recession and Mexico’s lower birth rate.
9. Bank of America chief financial officer Bruce Thompson is leaving the firmafter 5 1/2 years, in an unexpected announcement that comes a week after the bank reported second-quarter earnings that beat expectations.
10. Three new crew members arrived at the International Space Station on Wednesday after their mission was delayed two months to investigate a rocket-launch failure at the end of April.
Hallmark Abstract Service WhiteBoard Animation here
Article author Michael Haltman is the President of Hallmark Abstract Service in New York.
HAS is a provider of title insurance in New York State for residential and commercial real estate transactions.Google+