For anyone who has been involved in a real estate transaction as the buyer, buyers attorney or mortgage provider you know that title insurance is a key component in the process!
As such the title insurance provider that you choose is critically important for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is clearing any issues that stand in the way of reaching the closing table and closing the deal.
And, as in most industries, not all title insurance providers are created the same!
Most will tell you that they provide great service because in many ways service can be one of the differentiating factor that separates a good experience for all involved from a bad experience. But there is much, much more.
- What degree of expertise does your provider possess at the business of taking a file from beginning to closing?
- What is the claims experience of your provider as that will be a good indication of how they have conducted their business in the past and will likely continue to do in the future.
- Are you comfortable with the integrity of your provider because, after all, they are tasked with working to ensure that the buyers best interests are the main focus.
- Which underwriter does your title provider use because, as with any insurance product, a client is paying the premium relying on the fact that if a claim ever arises that the insurance company has the financial strength to stand behind its obligation to pay.
- Finally, while the title insurance premiums will generally not vary from firm to firm (full disclosure there are online providers who offer lower premiums with a commensurate drop in service and a claims paying ability that needs to be closely examined on a case by case basis), the ‘other’ fees charged by title insurance providers can be very different!
As an example of ‘other’ fees this is a sample title bill that Hallmark Abstract Service prepared for a $1MM Nassau County purchase with an $800K mortgage.
If you would like to have a sample title bill generated for a New York State transaction that you are involved in simply send the deal details to Michael Haltman at email@example.com.